Monday, February 23, 2009

FAT Tuesday ... It's Like a Blank Check

Tomorrow is "Fat Tuesday", the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. Now I'm not Catholic, but I've participated in the practice of giving up something I enjoy very much during the Lenton season for a number of years because I think it's a good exercise in sacrifice. It has shown me that I am capable of saying no to the cookies and ice cream (two of my larger vices and what I'll be "giving up" this year). I guess it's easier when you're doing it for God as opposed to yourself. I'm less likey to cheat him than myself. But I wonder, do people (not just me) look at Fat Tuesday like a blank check? "I'm giving up cookies and ice cream so on Tuesday I eat a whole freakin' package of Oreos and a 1/2 gallon of chocolate and peanut butter ice cream"... I can't be the only one who has that thought cross my mind. So in all honesty, I intend to eat both a couple cookies and a little ice cream but I will keep it under control... I promise.

My husband and I are both desperate to get into some kind of shape before the weather becomes warm enough to wear shorts and tank tops. Our goals are realistic but serious effort still needs to be applied so we are using this Lent to help kick-start the beginnings of a completely healthier lifestyle. That being said, for us, it's not all about "giving up" things we love. I've also included the practice of adding something good and this year it is a vow to have a vegetable at every dinner no matter what. That may not sound like a big deal but in a house where dinner is usually meat and potatoes or a simple starchy carb-fest, adding a veggie to each meal is a big step and one that I intend to make a good habit.

In the meantime, look forward to reading some interesting posts during Lent as I will not have my comfort food for emotional control (lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment